jeudi 19 novembre 2009

NICK HORNBY, SLAM.

« Sometimes you know you’ve got a chance with a girl because she wants to fight with you. If the world wasn’t so messed up, it wouldn’t be like that. If the world was normal, a girl being nice to you would be a good sign, but in the real world, it isn’t. »

« The kind of love my mum talks about is full of worry and work and forgiving people and putting up with things and stuff like that. It’s not a lot of fun, that’s for sure. If that really is love, the kind my mum talks about, then nobody can ever know if they love somebody, can they? Its seems like what she’s saying is, if you’re pretty sure you love somebody, the way I was sure in those few weeks, then you can’t love them, because that isn’t what love is. Trying to understand what she means by love would do your head in. »

« Life would be easier if I didn’t give a shit, but I do. »

« ‘If you’ve gone off her, then you should tell her,’ said Mum.
She was right, of course, but I didn’t. I just never went round, and I left my mobile off, and I didn’t reply to her texts. So she probably got the idea, in the end. »

« What you have to ask yourself all the time is, Do I want a fag now, this second ? Because if you don’t, then don’t have one. And if you think you can survive that second, then you’re on to the next second. And you have to live like that. »

« A lot of things don’t seem worth arguing about to me. At school, you hear rubbish about who’s going to mash who all the time. Arsenal will mash Chelsea. Chelsea will mash Arsenal. And I think, you know, just let them play each other. And then it’s a draw half the time anyway. It was the same here. Nobody knew. Let the future just happen, I thought. Which was a new thing for me to think, seeing as I’d spent half my life wondering and worrying about what was going to happen. »

Aucun commentaire: